Dimes

by xanthan gum

I know this is prose...but I don't think we have a prose forum.

Sober. Sober, when was the last time she was sober? It’s laughable, how she slurs her way through MySpace bulletins, proclaiming the word of aluminum cans, gray, black, white, shades that sneak around in the uncertainty of her drunken mind. Then here, where will I make up my mind? A thousand hairpins shackle me to this unbidden life, a life with spray-painted cheeks and glucose lips. This world started too straightforward, I plunged headfirst with salvia and nastier fluids, ones that rock the boat of this tiny house and set me floating in oceans of emotion. With the tide, I wash up besides Athena. She’s unsheathed, nude but for a Madonna bra. Miss Independent blasts from underneath her fake nails, and she’s filled with bullet holes. Her cheeks have been blown open, what a perfect shot from pillow talk, what a point blank perfect, perfect shot. Farther down the beach, sands slip through my toes and I hardly feel the grains – is there a difference between each one? Do they vary, do they know each other, chat in the lonely night? Perhaps one day we will share their pain, shoulder to shoulder, sifted constantly under the sloshing wines of change. But farther down: armies, faceless with only smiles too wide, too bidding. They all point in the same direction (they always have) and, of course, I follow it. If people go that way, isn’t it worth going, worthwhile, worth the watch, the tick tock tick tock tick tock of time, just seconds, just redundant after all, worth it? Worth, worth in pennies or in bodies or in a thousand little girls named Penny who passed away. Were they beaten? Were they raped? Was it cancer, was it water? Yes, it must’ve been the water. Down the shore, the bottle lands up on the rift between dry and wet sand, so I scoop, just like it’s dirty, I scoop, I scoop it up – the note inside reads “Do you want to catch ghost moths by twilight and lick their wings, hoping for flavor like saccharine? The best place to snatch stars from the sky is where they are close in vineyard, ones Jesus used to walk. I think his footprints raise us higher to the heavens. Platforms. Jesus wore platform shoes and stilts. Anyway, he must’ve tilted down once and a while, taken a tumble, so what could lift him up but a little bit of ivy, a handful of grapes and a wooden cup of wine, wine. Wood is just a shade of gray.” [Wanna get drunk tonight?] Oh, Penny, when was the last time – do you recall the last time – Oh, sober. Sober. You were sober.

backgroundbob wrote a review...

It's 'Other Fiction', gummy bear.

Or 'non-Fiction', of course, depending on your subject matter.

Personally, however, I think we should have a 'Prosetry' forum for pieces such as this - I'm a big fan of the genre, especially considering I made up the name when I discovered I was too lazy to write prose with plot lines and stuff.

Anyway.

It’s laughable, how she slurs her way through Myspace bulletins
"MySpace" wants two capitals. I know; stupid brandnames.

proclaiming the word of gray aluminum cans, white ones, black ones –
What with having the double sentence that runs on after the hyphen, it's starting to get a little crowded when you say that out loud. Or read it in your head, of course. My money recommends "proclaiming the word of aluminum cans - grey. white, black, shades...." and continue.

shades that sneak around in the uncertainty of her drunken mind.
However, I'd also drop the "in" here - just makes it flow better.

This world started too simple, I plunged headfirst with salvia ...
Definitely looking for a stronger stop after "simple" - comma just isn't enough. Semi-colon ought'a do it.

Farther down the beach, sands slip through my toes and I hardly feel the grains – is there a difference between each one, do they vary, do they know each other, chat in the lonely night?
It's long, and it's slightly unwieldy - remember that in this kind of writing, how your sentences roll off the tongue is half the battle; try putting a question mark after "one", perhaps.

But farther down: armies, faceless with smiles of Cheshire Cat.
This sentence troubles me, because it seems like a fragment, ill-structured and out of place, especially the last part. I think it just needs to be entirely restructured so it makes sense.

As for the rest, lovely - poetry in paragraphs. My only thought, should you wish a slight development to add, it making some sort of stronger connection between 'wood' and the Cross, since you're talking about Jesus. Seems like a wine-cup and a Cross fitting together serves your purpose, a little.

I love circular pieces like this, I used to write 'em all the time; a habit I should get back into. Some great imagery in there, spearmint girl, definitely a productive branching out.

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief